When I go to DC I have no problem finding ways to entertain myself between meetings. There are plenty of cafes and shops to duck into. I know which restaurants have prime seats near outlets and the ever important art of timing as it pertains to getting around Washington, DC (Always give yourself at least 30 minutes. Trust me). I’m always comfortable and rarely overwhelmed.
When I am asked for suggestions of places to hit up while in the nation’s capitol, it’s a different story. I suddenly find my chest tightening because I’m so on the spot. Like, if I don’t think of The Best Spot in DC then the tourist in question will have a horrible time and hate me. Every time they think of DC they’ll be reminded of the shitty restaurant in Farragut North I suggested. Such (self-inflicted) pressure.
Melissa suggested that I make up a list of my favorite spots in DC. I’m sure I’ve done this before though perhaps not. But this time I’ll have it be easily accessible and next time someone asks me for a list of things to do in DC I’m going to send them a link and wash my hands of the whole thing.
This isn’t an exhaustive list but more of a starter guide to the District of Columbia. All of these suggestions are kid tested and Heather Barmore approved. Also they are in no particular order other than whatever came to mind first. Enjoy and if you are a Washingtonian please leave your suggestions in the comments*:
1. Busboys & Poets - I think I was just hungry when this came to mind. Still, it’s local, delicious and affordable.
2. National Museum of American History - You’re in the Capital city you should get your America on.
3. Georgetown - Stroll up and down Wisconsin and M street, NW. Shop, eat and get your first tattoo.
4. Proof - Wine. Sweet, wonderful wine.
5. Old Ebbitt Grill - Oysters. A DC institution. See and be seen.
6. The Capitol - Um. Have you ever read this site before? If not then this is my home away from home. I see that rotunda from a distance and I’m the happiest kid on the block.
7. Hello Cupcake - They make a mean lemon cupcake.
8. Zatinya - Mediterranean tapas. Yes, please.
9. The Willard - The view, the drinks and the White House is down the block. Can’t go wrong.
10. Graffiato - Good food and the highlight for me was the prosecco on tap.
Honorable mentions: Eastern Market, Jaleo, Mandarin Oriental, Air and Space Museum , The Portrait Gallery, Matchbox , Raku
*Then I can compile The Most Awesome List of DC Ever. Or something.**